Colorado Carbon Monoxide Advice from Orcutt Insurance Group

Carbon Monoxide advice from OrcuttOrcutt Insurance Group strives to inform our Homeowners Insurance clients about important items related to owning a home in Colorado. One topic that came up recently was Carbon Monoxide. The most important item related to Carbon Monoxide is to have a detector in your house. They are easy to find at the local hardware store and simple to install. Carbon monoxide can be a serious problem for homeowners. Overexposure to this invisible, odorless, poisonous gas can cause flu-like symptoms, serious sickness or and even death.

Nine out of ten carbon monoxide accidents (excluding fires) happened in homes – not in commercial or industrial buildings. Preventing accumulation of the gas in your home is the best way to keep your family safe. Carbon monoxide is created when fossil fuels (such as gasoline, liquid petroleum gas, wood, coal, charcoal, propane, natural gas, oil and methane) burn incompletely

Sources of carbon monoxide include:

  • Oil and gas furnaces
  • Gas ranges and ovens
  • Gas or kerosene space heaters
  • Charcoal grills
  • Vehicles

The only sure way to know if carbon monoxide is building up in your home is to install a UL 2034 Safety standard carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide detectors are available at any hardware store and should be installed on each floor of your home, especially near bedrooms. If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, immediately move to fresh air and call 911.

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning requires a bit of mindfulness, but most of these tips are straightforward and part of common homeowner safety:

  • Never leave your car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Don’t try to repair appliances that burn fuel such as a furnace, dryer, or hot water heater – leave that to the experts. Faulty venting or ductwork leads to carbon monoxide inside your house
  • If you need extra heat in your home, don’t use a gas range or oven. Purchase a UL-Listed space heater and make sure it’s vented correctly.
  • Never use charcoal grills or camp stoves inside the house or in the garage.
  • It’s a good idea to never use gasoline-powered tools inside the house. If you must, make sure the exhaust is vented outside.
  • Never allow anyone to sleep in a room with a gas appliance that isn’t connected to an exterior vent.

For more info please visit:

Please let us know how we can help with all of your insurance needs

Thank you for your consideration.

The Orcutt Group Team