Commercial Building Insurance Advice, Quotes, Policies and Service
As an owner of a Colorado or Denver building our independent agency can help you find affordable property and general liability insurance that meets the needs of your business and building. Colorado has a unique insurance marketplace with insurers entering and exiting the market on a regular basis. We will quote insurance with multiple companies to find insurance that meets your specific needs. Please contact us to discuss insurance and your building. Additionally, please visit our commercial property overview site for further information.
What should I expect when an insurance company inspects my building?
Below we have outlined a list of questions that would be covered during an inspection of your property by an insurance company. This list will not only prepare you for the inspection but will also give you an idea of what insurance companies are looking for when insuring a property. By knowing what insurance companies want, you can make improvements to your property to keep your premiums down.
- Is the property’s address clearly visible from the roadway?
- Is the parking lot properly striped?
- Is there a proportionate amount of handicapped spots in the parking lot?
- Are there designated spots for hybrids/compact cars?
- Is there proper lighting in the parking lot?
- Are handicapped spots and other specific spots clearly marked with signs?
- Are there any potholes in the parking lot?
- Are there cracks in the pavement that need to be repaired?
- Are unloading zones clearly marked?
- Are there wheelchair-accessible ramps leading up to the main entrance?
- Are there handrails leading up to the main entrance?
- Are there any obstructions in front of fire hydrants?
- Is there a trash dumpster on-site?
- Are ashtrays available near all entrances?
- Are utility/cable boxes properly marked?
- Is the property shovelled and/or plowed during the winter?
- Does the building have closed-circuit television (CCTV)?
- Are exit doors unlocked during business hours?
- Are all entrances and exits properly marked?
- Is the company’s name clearly visible?
- Is the building’s roof in good shape?
- Are windows and doors in need of washing?
- Is the exterior siding in good shape?
- Is the building free of vandalism?
- Are “No Smoking” signs posted?
- Are emergency exits clearly marked and free of obstructions?
- Is there sufficient lighting on the building’s exterior?
- Is the rooftop elevator penthouse properly ventilated and cleaned regularly?
- Are there any cracks in the building’s exterior walls?
- Are combustible materials kept away from the building?
- Are there signs of weather damage?
- Is the parking structure properly maintained?
- Are the gutters free of debris?
- Are there any combustibles stored in the boiler room?
- Are all smoke alarms functional?
- Are smoke alarms tested regularly?
- Is smoking prohibited in the building?
- Does the building have a sprinkler system?
- Is the sprinkler system inspected annually?
- Is all storage at least 18” below the sprinklers?
- Are portable fire extinguishers readily available?
- Are fire extinguishers inspected regularly?
- Are fire evacuation diagrams posted throughout the building?
- Are there “EXIT” signs posted above exterior doors?
- Are flammable and combustible liquids properly tagged and stored?
- Are smoking areas properly identified?
- Are all electrical boxes, outlets and switches properly covered?
- Are electrical panels properly covered and latched?
- Are electrical panels free of obstructions?
- Are extension cords used for temporary uses only?
- Do any extension cords run through walls, ceilings or doors?
- Do all electrical outlets have covers?
- Is equipment that requires higher voltage plugged into the proper outlets?
- Are there any frayed wires in the building?
- Do all outlets located within six feet of sinks and exterior doors include Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs)?
- Is there a lockout procedure in place?
- Is the boiler room kept locked?
- Are there any combustible objects kept near heaters?
- Is the building’s thermostat kept at a comfortable temperature?
- Are filters replaced regularly?
- Are heating and cooling ducts free of obstructions?
- Is the heating/cooling system set back when the building is unoccupied?
- Does landscaping interfere with any utility boxes?
- Are there any dead trees on the property?
- Are there shade-providing trees on the property?
- Are there any areas with dead grass?
- Is an irrigation system in place?
- Are sprinklers placed far away from walkways?
- Are planters properly mulched?
- Is grass mowed weekly?
- Are mowers/trimmers kept on-site in a locked storage building?
- Are insecticides regularly applied to plants?
- Are flower beds weeded regularly?
- Is grass fertilized regularly?
- Is trash removed from the building daily?
- Is the trash dumpster emptied weekly?
- Are bathrooms cleaned daily?
- Are windows cleaned regularly?
- Are employees responsible for replacing paper towels in kitchen area(s)?
- Does the company have a recycling policy?
- Are refrigerators emptied and cleaned monthly?
- Are all combustible and flammable liquids stored properly?
- Is there any combustible storage in unprotected attics or crawl spaces?
- Are cabinets and containers containing chemicals properly labeled?
- Are spill-containment materials readily available in case of a spill?
- Are Safety Data Sheets (SDS) available for hazardous substances?
We hope you found the above information useful. Please contact us to discuss insurance and your building.
Thank you for your consideration.
The Orcutt Group Team